Wednesday, December 4, 2013

“Waiting Game” by Banks – A Song Review

     OK, we now get it – we finally understand why Banks is receiving the amount of attention she does. Sure, she has the sensual video to “This Is What It Feels Like,” in which Banks does a shadowy, sultry dance in her sexy nightwear while a storm passes. We have nothing against music videos, but we’re about the music.
     And sure, we understand and appreciate the understated, often minimalistic, approach of the Banks’ sound. It has its good moments. Yes, we get the passion that often comes through in Banks’ singing. Still, the boat was sailing without us. That boat was crowded and people whose musical tastes we respect were on it, but we didn’t board. That is, not until we heard “Waiting Game.”
     “Waiting Game” offers everything we hoped to hear from Lana Del Rey. There’s a statement that is equally unfair to Banks and Lana Del Rey. Unfair to Banks because there are strong opinions about Del Rey, both positive and negative, and our statement may bias either Del Rey’s friends or foes. It’s unfair to Del Rey because it gives the impression that we think Del Rey made a promise that she didn’t keep. The reality is that all of the early hype surrounding Del Rey created an unrealistic expectation of her.
     Banks is from Los Angeles. Her full name is Jillian Banks. She surfaced in 2012 (no, it’s not another boat reference). Interestingly, at least today, Banks uses the “About” section of her Facebook page to invite personal calls, and she includes her telephone number. What?

LYRICS OF “WAITING GAME”
I'm thinking it over
The way you make me feel all sexy but it's causing me shame
I wanna lean on your shoulder
I wish I was in love but I don't wanna cause any pain
And if I'm feeling like I'm evil, we've got nothing to gain.

What if I never even see you cuz we're both on a stage
Don't tell me listen to your song because it isn't the same
I don't wanna say your love is a waiting game.

Baby I'm thinking it over
What if the way we started made it something cursed from the start
What if it only gets colder
Would you still wrap me up and tell me that you think this was smart
Cuz lately I've been scared of even thinking 'bout where we are.

What if I never even see you cuz we're both on a stage
Don't tell me listen to your song because it isn't the same
I don't wanna say your love is a waiting game.
[Repeat]

No comments:

Post a Comment